Reviving the Islamic Spirit (RIS) Convention 2006 – Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Saturday Dec 23 -2:00pm
Speech Title: Why Knowledge Must Preceed action: “Creed before Deed”
Speaker: Sheikh Abdullah Bin Bayyah – Translated by Sheikh Hamza Yusuf
In the Name of God , the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful. Peace and blessings be upon the Messenger Mohammad.
(these are just my humble notes from the lecture, please pardon me for the mistakes in this and the notes prior to this. I ask Allah for pardon first.)
- These are the best days to do virtuous acts: First 10 days of Dhul Hijjah
- Learn how to act before you act. Acting without knowledge is like walking into a forest without Light.
- Light of knowledge – Chapter of Knowledge is before Chapter of Acts in Sahih Bukhari
- Allah elevates “darajaat” (levels) those who believe
- Whoever sets out on the path to seek knowledge his/her reward is Paradise
- Seeking knowledge is fardh (Obligatory) before acting it.
- Say Rabbi Zidni ilma ( Oh Lord Increase me in Knowledge)
- “Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, they have no firm belief. ” Quran – [52:36]
- With knowledge one can:
- Learn about Allah
- Interact with Humanity
- Allah told Prophet (saw) to ask for increase in knowledge, not duniya
- Imtinaan: Allah reminds you of the blessings He gave you
- In fitra (natural human drive) , we are open to learn. we see existence, so there must be somthing behind it. Order doesn’t come out of chaos.
- With knowledge one can:
- We know all this because the Prophet (saw) taught us this
- In salaah there is rest in each position (qiyyam, rukoo, sujood, juloos) called “tu’ma’neena”.
- Path to knowledge:
- 1) Senses: Qur’an: “we gave them sight”
- 2) Intellect (aql): there are 2000 opinions among scholars as to what Aql is.
- Imam al Haramain- “The ability to distinguish possible from impossible.”
- Intellect can determine if the senses are right or wrong: ex: The sun seems like it is moving across the sky, but intellectually we know that we are the ones moving, not the sun.
- 3) Divine Revelation (Wahi) – “And like that, we have revealed to you somthing”- Quran
- Wahi is like a ceiling, it is limited by our thought
- Intellect is not in conflict with revelation because our intellect is limited
- Wahi is beyond intellect
- Intellect can conceive beyond the ceiling even if it hasn’t been there.
- Intellect can grasp wahi, both are needed
- Revelation tells us there is more beyond the eyes – Sleep is the little brother of death.
- Imam Al Gazali : “Humans by nature judge by habits”
- Knowledge verifies revelation
- Cloning – Allah menionted in the Quran that He can bring you back from the smallest parts of you.
- We are in need of these sciences:
- Aqeeda, Seerah, Akhlaq, Ihsaan.
- We should know , it doesnt have to be at an Ulema (Scholarly) level, but dont be ignorant about it – write your Will
- Ilm of Qalb (heart) – Know the desieses of the heart.
Peace and blessings be upon the Messenger Mohammad.
Walekum as salaam warahmatullah.