- It is THE RUKN of Hajj
- Arafaat, Arafatu – has the root verb of Arafa – which means “to Know”
- On Arafah we know our dhunub, our nafs
- We stand there acknowledging what we are. Allah wants us to know and acknowledge our deficiencies. Allah has always seen us and knows us. Allah wants us to come to Him naked spiritually, without hiding anything
- Acknowledge our sins: major, minor, old and new.
- We know our nafs by its weakness, transgressions, rebelliousness, hawah (worldy inclinations)
- Know Allah by His love and compassion and Knowledge, forgiveness
- We must stand there acknowledging ourselves
- Root – Al Arrafah – To perfume (tayyib). Allah says in the Quran : “Allah will enter his Ibaad to His beautifully smelling Jannah” (Arrafa haala hum)
- If we come to Him knowing ourselves, He will forgive us our sins
- Sins make our hearts smell nasty, on Arafaat, Allah cleanses and makes our hearts smell beautiful
- Arafat is a place of seeking permission of Allah.
- It is outside of the Haraam (Mekkah) . The movement of Hajj starts here, moving towards the haraam. Before we enter into the sanctuary of Allah, we need to be cleansed and washed. We are going to go visit Allah’s house!!! Wash our hearts!
- Rasulullah (Saw) says: “ Allah celebrates in the presence of the angels, these inhabitants of the earth, who come to Allah seeking His nearness genuinely.”
Muzdelifah- Now they are allowed to move towards the haraam. To Muzdalefa ( means to come nearer, to approach)
- Rasulullah (saw) – in Arafaat made a dua – Asked Allah to forgive the believers on Arafaat ALL THEIR SINS! , Allah forgave them all their sins, EXCEPT their rights on other creatures.
- In Muzdalefah, some ulema teach that Rasulullah (saw) was in a dua and he was smiling and happy – he said (saw) – that I was laughing and smiling because Allah granted me that dua , and shaytaan was mad and throwing dust on himself out of what he saw of the Rahmah of Allah on His ibaad this night of Muzdelifa. The dua was to forgive those who went against the rights of others.
MINA! Coming closer to Haraam! – MINA!
- Mina or Muna – means – My desire, my hope
- Desire of nearness to Allah is closest!
- In Muna – Adam wished for Jannah and desired for Jannah, that’s why its called Muna, Mina – unkown if its an authentic text
- First thing to do when in Muna – Cast Pebbles in Jamaratul Kubra. Some people thinks its Shaytaan , the jamarah is not shaytaan!
i. What does it symbolize – Shaytan tried to stop Ibrahim’s nafs, this is where it symbolizes Ibrahim pushing shaytan away. Cast the pebbles at shaytaan, I will not obey shaytaan anymore. “Allahoakber” cast the pebble!
ii. Jamarah – is a container “Majmer” which holds the fire , used to keep us warm during cold.
1. Majmer confines the fire from spreading out and hurting us.
iii. Pebble has to fall into the Basin, doesn’t have to hit the Pillar!
1. As I do that, Im jailing the fire of my nafs there, Im leaving it there! Liberating my qalb from the fire of my Hawaa/Shahwah, And Shaytaan
2. May Allah give us that
iv. Slaughter the animal – ultimately Im remembering the slaughtering of the nafs/iraada, just like how Ibrahim intended to slaughter his son, in obedience of Allah.
1. not only jailed in the jamarah, but slaughtered!
v. Shave my hair. – Most people don’t like to shave their hair.
1. Hair represents a sense of Arrogance – sense of Nafs is left
2. Rasulullah (saw) – said :”Shaving is better than trimming”
3. Head is the top most thing in me. Symbolizes my honor “Don’t touch my head/hair”
4. Shave it off to kill whatever is remaining of the nafs!
5. Now we are clean insha Allah
6. Wash and do theeb – but don’t approach spouse yet
Now we are allowed to enter the House! – Tawaaful Ifaada!!
- Ifaada – meanings – Fayadhaan – “Burst/flooding of something” – Burst of my heart to the house of Allah.
- Your arrive at the house! With floods of burst of desire! Finally I arrive!
- Remember the old women “Baytu Rabbi Baytu Rabbi! , she clung to the cloth of the kaaba and there she died”
i. Story of the old lady: She was a blind old lady, who was being taken to Hajj by her son/relative, and all along the way she kept asking “Baytu Rabbi?” and the man kept telling her no, until they arrived in the courtyard of the Haram. She asked again, Baytu Rabbi, and the man replied yes. Then she asked to be taken to the Kaaba so she could touch it. She clinged to the cloth of the kaabaa and kept saying Baytu Rabbi.. and there she died.
- There is the Hajre Aswaad – Renewal of our pledge with Allah.