Reviving the Islamic Spirit (RIS) Convention 2006 – Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Saturday Dec 23 -4:00pm
Speech Title: Changing the Present and Working for a Better Future
In the Name of God , the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful. Peace and blessings be upon the Messenger Mohammad.
There are Three real problems we face in the West:
- Identity Crisis
- Psycological crisis – Lack of confidence
- Authority Crisis
Division is not due to diversity. We Muslims in the West have alot of Diversity among us. Only Badly Managed Diversity equals Division.
There is a lack of vision – “What do we want to do and give?, Where do we want to be in the future?”
As western Muslims, we shouldn’t idealize the past. Yet we should learn from it and revive it.
READ READ READ READ. When it is mentioned in the Quran that Ulema have taqwa, that refers to anyone who has knowledge.
6 C’s :
- have a Critical Mind
- right to Contest (to disagree)
- When serving the community, understand that you are serving humanity.
- Don’t be silent when people are oppressed around you. We have values as Muslims, So spread these values!
- Resepct diverse ways of going on the straight path of Islam
- Read. Ask Questions (Cure of the weak (ignorant, unknowledgable) is to ask – hadith sahih). Don’t put others outside. Keep asking, this will help our scholars to understand the situations.
- No Racism. Don’t be racist.
- Express yourself – Literature. Art.
Peace and blessings be upon the Messenger Mohammad.
Walekum as salaam warahmatullah.